- The SSAT is designed to ensure no advantages or disadvantages exist for students taking one mode of testing or another (computer-based versus paper-based); however, differences exist between the two modes of testing as it pertains to which accommodations may be needed to complete testing and how each approved accommodation will roll-out on test day.
- IMPORTANT: Not all traditional accommodations will be necessary for a computer-based test. For example, students who normally answer directly in their test book when completing paper-based testing, would need to have this accommodation approved in advance of testing to be permitted to answer in this manner. However, both computer-based SSAT options require the student to click and select an answer on screen for each test item and no physical testing materials are provided. All things considered, EMA recommends seeking approval for all accommodations which may be necessary across all modes of testing, in case your circumstances change and need to test in a different mode than originally planned. If you have questions regarding any differences in rules and regulations surrounding a particular accommodation for computer-based versus paper-based testing, please refer to the accommodations Appendix below.
- EMA recommends that any student considering the possibility of taking a paper-based SSAT during the testing season apply and be approved for any accommodations that would be necessary for paper-based testing as no accommodations will be provided unless they have been approved in advance of registering for testing. A student not having needed approval for certain accommodation(s) when taking the computer-based test will not permit usage of non-approved accommodations on any paper-based test registration for any reason.
- Any student completing a computer-based SSAT at a Prometric center in their area will not be required to have their medical devices approved as an accommodation ahead of test day. If you are uncertain as to whether or not your medically necessary items require prior approval as an accommodation prior to registering for the SSAT, please contact our customer support team at email@example.com for assistance.
- At EMA, we have done our best to permit last-minute updates to registrations to allow for additions or removals of accommodations at the request of the family. While we will continue to do our best to accommodate these late changes, it will be less likely that we will be able to do so for any computer-based test registration due to the involvement of third-party vendors administering the SSAT on behalf of EMA.
For more information regarding nuanced differences for specific accommodations across test modes, please visit: https://www.ssat.org/testing/accommodations/guide-for-students#appendix